[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] Redacting 75, 000 street names contributed by user chdr

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sun Aug 27 18:04:11 UTC 2017

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 6:49 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Here's a list of way IDs affected, with country and state:
>
> http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/chdr.details

Frederik,
I looked a small sample of the list. For example, way 10012342 [1] in Texas
was only touched by chdr. The name originated with the TIGER import by Dave
Hansen. It doesn't appear to me that at this point a mass deletion, at
least in the US, is appropriate.

As Ian pointed out, using a tool like Maproulette to validate names would
be a more appropriate recourse to insure we chdr did not add copyright
information to OSM. Especially four years later. I believe the US community
can manage to review 18,000 names to insure integrity of our project.

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/10012342/history

Best,
Clifford
--