[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] Redacting 75, 000 street names contributed by user chdr

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 19:27:05 UTC 2017

There are a couple of issues here.  The first are our users, we don't
normally think about them but deleting the names at the wrong point in
OSMAND's cycle could mean missing street names for a period of time.

Second is the problem of some data might be incorrect as a result of the
source deliberately using invalid names.  The very clean way is to delete
then retag.

Verifying with a maproulette challenge would work well if we could trust
all the mappers not to just tick the box either deliberately or by mistake.

Since we have the location of the streets and we have other sources with a
valid name which would probably vary by country could someone join the two
together and verify the name in an automated way?  Leaving a much smaller
list of street names to be verified manually?  I suspect Jamie could wave a
magic wand for Quebec.

I'm not saying we should do one thing or another here.  I'm attempting to
analyse the problem and find a solution that impacts as few people as
possible but gives us clean accurate data at the end of the process.

If we go the verifying route could we take a page out of HOT's process and
have someone verify them someone validate?

Cheerio John