[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] Redacting 75, 000 street names contributed by user chdr

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Mon Aug 28 08:39:02 UTC 2017

On Monday 28 August 2017, Paul Norman wrote:

> As the publisher of the OSM database, the OSMF has various legal
> obligations. When we become aware of data that has been illegally
> copied into OSM we need to stop distributing that data, generally by
> deleting it and redacting the old versions so they are no longer
> accessible. It's worth discussing if we can refine the identification
> of data illegally copied data, but we need to remove it in the end,
> regardless of if we want to.

+1.

In fact reading this thread i cannot really believe this discussion is
actually happening, that there seem to be people who think that a large
scale unauthorized use of data can be 'healed' by rubber stamping it
with a 'review' of the names.

If you think that redaction is pointless, unnecessary, inappropriate or
similar the right thing to do is to lobby your legislative body to
change database rights legislation, not to just ignore the law (which i
am sure none of you would propose to do if you were personally liable).

As has been mentioned by others replacing the problematic data with
information from other sources (either on-the-ground knowledge or open
data) is something that can be done both before and after a redaction
without problems.  And Frederik already indicated the DWG supports
these efforts.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/