[OSM-talk] Beach routing

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Tue Aug 29 10:50:47 UTC 2017

Last week-end I went hiking along the coast from Honfleur to
Trouville-sur-Mer. As I wondered what distance I walked, I turned to
Openstreetmap routers... And did not find my answer: beaches are not
considered as highways.

I thought about adding paths to beach sections that I consider
walkable... But, while some of those beaches have an identifiable path
along their length, for the most part this would be tagging for the
router.

I fail to imagine a beach that is not walkable. So, should the routers
use natural=beach the same way as highway=path+surface=(sand|gravel|*) ?

The question of routing across natural=beach brings back the past debate
about highway=pedestrian+area=yes - most routers do not route over
areas.

I just dug this thread, which goes along the same lines as my reflexions
(https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2014-July/013280.html)
but does no definitely concludes either.

My conclusion is that I should open wishlist entries for my favorite
routers... Is it a good idea ?