[OSM-talk] Beach routing

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Tue Aug 29 12:13:13 UTC 2017

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 13:36:49 +0200
Oleksiy Muzalyev <oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch> wrote:

> On 8/29/2017 12:50 PM, Jean-Marc Liotier wrote:
> > I fail to imagine a beach that is not walkable.
>
> In France, yes. [..] In other parts there are still beaches which
> could belong to a company, an organization, to a private person, and
> there is no access there due to a fence or a barrier [..]

Indeed I had forgotten that French littoral law is exceptionaly
protective of the commons - by law one can walk along the entire French
coast unhindered, except of course by physical features such as cliffs.

But this is no different than highway modeling in Openstreetmap: by
default the highway is accessible and access=* may specify exceptions
to that - access=* can apply to natural=beach just as well as all the
other Openstreetmap objects it already applies to.