[OSM-talk] Redacting 75, 000 street names contributed by user chdr (Spain)

alan_gr alangrant72 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 07:29:40 UTC 2017

(I will continue in Nelson's thread as my post also relates to a specific
"other country")

The impact on Spain is currently being discussed in the talk-es mailing
list:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-es/2017-August/015416.html

Spain has a legitimate source of street names in the form of the official
cadastre, so this shouldn't be a huge issue.

However there is confusion about the process. Several mappers on talk-es
think that if the name of the affected streets can be verified using the
cadastre ahead of time, this will avoid them being deleted. Some mappers
have already started checking streets and tagging them as "source=Cadastro
EspaƱa". I think this is based partly on the paragraph in the first post
about "suggesting a refinement that would leave more names in place". If I
have understood the original thread correctly this editing doesn't really
achieve anything, as the names will be redacted anyway and the mappers will
need to edit all the ways a second time. But that thread has grown in to
something quite intimidating, even for a native English speaker, and it is
difficult to pick out the bits that would make this clear.

It would be useful to state (or restate)
- exactly what will happen on "redaction day", including the impact on ways
that have been edited by other mappers AFTER chdr
- approximately when "redaction day" is likely to happen
- what mappers should do (or not do) now.