[OSM-talk] An import in New Zealand, assistance requested

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Thu Aug 31 14:55:36 UTC 2017

Sorry for responding to this late.

Just because a specific source has been legally "OK"ed doesn't imply
that an import of all the data from a specific source is warranted and
should continue on for all times. The import guidelines are silent on
this, but I would suggest that revisiting and reviewing such undertaking
now and then would really make sense.

Not only because we've learnt lots of things in the many, I believe 9,
years since the LINZ import started, but further because in those 9
years the community has likely completely changed, a quick check
indicated that 20 times more people have mapped in NZ than when the
import started. As the complaint at hand nicely illustrates, maybe going
back and checking what the community thinks is appropriate now would be
a good idea, instead of trudging along on a course set by 100 people
many years back.

Simon