[OSM-talk] Planned rendering changes of protected areas

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 14:04:36 UTC 2017

On 30/11/17 13:46, Daniel Koć wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking about changes in rendering of protected areas on
> osm-carto and I wanted to give community a hint, because it's a
> popular kind of objects. There is a fresh discussion about it from
> this comment on:
>
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/603#issuecomment-347879897
>

> In short:
>
> 1. Currently leisure=nature_reserve (old scheme) and boundary=* (new
> scheme) are frequently tagged in parallel, and it looks like the old
> scheme is used as a hack just to make it visible on default map.

(snipped)

Actually one more thing (prompted by SK53 on IRC) - the area of a nature
reserve is sometimes != the protected area, as noted here:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/603#issuecomment-348480276

I can think of a few examples locally - one for example is signed as an
SSSI* but not a nature reserve:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/53745064/history

also apparently the "reserve" area at Muston
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/52.9219/-0.7766 doesn't match the
protected area.

Obviously this is orthoganal to what gets rendered and what doesn't, but
there's certainly a case for using both tags.

Best Regards,
Andy

* Site of Special Scientific Interest.  Probably maps onto a
"protect_class" or something.