[OSM-talk] OSM tagging validation lib

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 24 12:30:41 UTC 2017

The technical differences between java and JS do not preclude generic
thinking. Consider tzdata[1] for example, which does something analogous
for time zone data.

The "rules database" can be made portable, in the form of XML or JSON
for example. The logic for using these rules can be described in a
portable way. Then you add a set of compliance tests, and publish a
reference implementation to demonstrate that is is possible to implement
it. After that, the logic can be implemented in any language you like,
checked against the compliance tests and the bindings published.

Externalising the rules database enables updates and customisations for
particular reasons. Depending on the specific use case and the
associated non-functionals, validation could possibly be offered as a
cloud service (not necessarily by OSM).

//colin

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tz_database