[OSM-talk] OSM tagging validation lib

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Sun Dec 24 17:13:02 UTC 2017

Hi Bryan

Le 24 déc. 2017 4:45 PM, "Bryan Housel" <bryan at 7thposition.com> a écrit :

Have you looked at https://github.com/osmlab/osmlint ?
Of all the current validation efforts, that seems like the most promising.

I didn't know OSMLint and OSM QA tiles before
Very promising indeed for parallel processing
Issue I see it's relations aren't available unfortunately

I’d definitely echo what other people are saying about avoiding the osm
wiki if possible.

Can you elaborate please ?
I just don't know elsewhere anyone can find comprehensive and consistent
information about tags despite wiki is not always perfect
Wiki got good functionalities to log contributions and revert vandalism too.

It works on vector tiles though, so to stuff it into an editor like iD, we
would need to write some kind of pipeline that does:
“current view of stuff in editor” -> "vector tile" -> "osmlint engine" ->
“results (geojson)” -> “back to the editor for user to see"

It might work?

It can clearly work :)
Nevertheless it's one usecase out of plenty
Validation systems can be used to do data audit too
That's why focusing on rules formatting is more versatile than writing
implementation unlinke what i was originally suggesting

Also… This problem of “validating OSM” is really unbounded.  You should
know that before you start working on it!  I’m not one to tell people not
to work on something but.. It’s really hard!  Tags are just made up all the
time by people.

I agree and it's a different problem
Focusing on rules formalism doesn't assume what rules should be.
Even if tags are made by people, some definitions can be commonly accepted
and they can be refined after some discussion. Validation can follow the
same peocess also.

Can a `highway=residential` connect to a `power=line`?  - no!
Can a `highway=service` connect to a `power=substation`  - uhh, I guess!
Can a `highway=??` connect to a `power=thing_i_just_made_up`? - haha!

These are rules, not the description we should build to make them
understandable by software

All the best

François