[OSM-talk] shop windows on differnt streets

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 01:37:59 UTC 2017

On 28-Dec-17 08:55 AM, Greg Morgan wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 10:36 AM, Catonano <catonano at gmail.com
> <mailto:catonano at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I hope this is the right place to ask about tagging
>
>     There s this shop that has shop windows on 2 streets
>     https://imgur.com/a/icpwJ
>
>     Some of its shop windows have street numbers. as shown here
>     https://imgur.com/a/ny08t
>
>     This is  a quite common case, as you can see here
>     https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vr2vKuqr1S5hjf772
>     <https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vr2vKuqr1S5hjf772>
>
>     Some have their shop windows separated by building entrances or a
>     different shop windows
>
>     How do I map these ?
>
>     My idea is that every shop window should be its own point with
>     address info and then a relation should group them and be tagged
>     with common data, such as the shop name, the web site, the phone
>     number, the operator, whatever
>
>     Does anyone here know of any example of a similar situation ?
>

> I would say that it depends on your jurisdiction and how they create
> addresses.  In my case, the address is set most of the time by what
> side the water meter is on.  In that case it is easy to set the
> address except on corner buildings like you point out.  In addition,
> in newer addresses it seems that the whole structure gets an address.
> Then sub-addressing as they call it provides a suite/flat number for
> each of the shops.  I have also seen the cases that you provide.   In
> this case, I make an address point in the building polygon where the
> doorway is located. A shop window can provide the same address point
> location.  I just create a separate POI for the shop.  The address
> will remain even if the building is torn down but shop owner and
> merchandise can have great volatility.

A single shop:
Some larger 'shops' have entrances on all sides of a block - so that is
on 4 streets. However the shop would only use one of those addresses.
You don't tag the individual windows, you tag the shop - either as a
single node towards the shop entrance, or main entrance if it has more
than one entrance, or you tag it as an area using a closed way.

Multiple shops:
Tag each shop separately .. they may share addresses being within the
same building.