[OSM-talk] Standard map style contributions

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 02:41:30 UTC 2017

On 28/12/2017 10:45, Daniel Koć wrote:

> However after almost half a year we still don't have too many
> contributions from other people and I'm curious what are the main
> obstacles which prevent it and what else could we possibly change to
> make it easier? There's also more basic question: how many people are
> interested in contributing to osm-carto at all?

Speaking entirely personally, the main issue is just
selfishness/laziness.  I don't use the OSM Carto style much myself
(there'd be too much information missing at the zoom levels I typically
use) so I wouldn't get much benefit myself from an accepted change.  In
case it helps anyone who does want to contribute but doesn't quite know
where to start I've added a diary entry
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SomeoneElse/diary/43041 that explains
what I needed to do to submit
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/2966 . There's
actually a surprisingly large amount that needs to be done to support
(in this case) 7 lines of changed code.

I'd also not assume that everyone is familar with CSS.  In addition, the
somewhat arcane way that some of the selections for layers are done in
project.mml is, shall we say, not always that easy to follow.

Another reason why I've not added more pull requests is that in some
cases I don't think that they'd be accepted.  If I offered to "fix" the
main problem described by
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/765 I'm
pretty sure that it wouldn't be accepted.  As described in
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/CARTOGRAPHY.md
, OSM Carto has somewhat conflicting goals - both as "an important
feedback mechanism for mappers" and as an "exemplar stylesheet". Any map
style will always be a compromise of course; you can't have "everything
louder than everything else" which is why the requests for some features
to be rendered will be denied (although I suspect that we underestimate
how much more opportunity these is for rendering features at high zoom
levels only).

Another reason is I suspect the "jumping through hoops" needed to get
something accepted.  See for example the discussion on
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/2355 - it's
clear that there's unlikely to be complete agreement there, and the
result is no solution at all (essentially "perfect is the enemy of good").

With the last two issues it's difficult to know what to suggest - there
has to be an overall style "direction" otherwise you just end up with
something that is a bit of a mess.  Likewise there have to be some
standards, but sometimes I suspect that if the maintainers actually want
to see a fix to a particular problem that they'll need help potential
contributors a bit more.  Obviously the docker info is a step in the
right direction (I've not tried that myself so I can't point to specific
pitfalls there).

Anyway, I hope the above helps (and please understand that it's not
meant as a criticism either of the style or the maintainers - it's just
trying to provide answers to the questions that were asked).

Best Regards,

Andy