[OSM-talk] Fixing wikipedia/wikidata tags

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Tue Feb 7 08:24:47 UTC 2017

Good morning Yuri,

On Saturday I added the Wikidata tag to the monument [1] of Mikhail
Bakunin [2] in Bern. In fact, I had added also the monument itself on
the map. I searched for it for quite some time at Bremgartenfriedhof, as
there was a typing error in the English Wikipedia article concerning the
box number (it is corrected already).

I also added some ground and aerial photos of the monument with GPS
coordinates to the Wikimedia category, published the GPS trace to the
OSM, and filmed a short video in English language:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bakunin_Monument_Bern_EN.webm
https://youtu.be/GCGdnFf8BDY

and the same video in Russian:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bakunin_Monument_Bern_RU.webm
https://youtu.be/REjGTkJYKwU

Quality on Youtube is better, as I could not figure out yet how to
convert a video to the WEBM format without some quality loss.

I mean that in addition to validating by scripts the legwork also have
got a potential. In this respect, it would be helpful if we had the
Wikipedia & Wikidata layer on the OSM map, with an option to see
Wikidata items without an image, Wikipedia articles in different
languages, so a human may see, analyze, and visit an object on the
ground to clarify the situation. At the this point, I would not dare to
correct an OSM-Wikipedia inconsistency without first visiting, recording
a GPS trace, and filming it. So in my opinion it should be on a map, in
addition to a list.

Some new hardware tools became affordable by now: precise GPS/GLONASS
trackers, video-cameras with stabilized gimbals for ground and aerial
filming, directional microphones. But also the photo-cameras themselves
became better. A human armed with these new tools can do a lot of useful
work at a location, though it may take some time until we learn how to
employ these tools effectively.

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4665613556#map=19/46.95039/7.42234
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikhail_Bakunin

With best regards,