[OSM-talk] Fixing broken multipolygons

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Sat Feb 18 06:50:07 UTC 2017

On 15.02.17 23:51, Sarah Hoffmann wrote:
> ... we are
> currently discussing about changing the algorithm that assembles the
> polygons[1]. The new algorithms will be a lot faster but that comes
> at the price that it is less tolerant with invalid geometries. A lot
> of bad geometries that are currently still drawn some way or another
> will be simply dropped. I'm convinced that in the long run this
> stricter handling will be good not only for data consumers but also
> for mappers, who will see immediately when they made a mistake.

Hi,
It would be a good idea to generate automatically a message to an author
or authors of this geometry asking them to fix it, explaining shortly
what an error they committed, and informing them that it would be
deleted, if they do not fix it. And if there is no reaction after a
tolerance period of say one week, then drop it automatically.

Deleting objects from the map without a warning may cause suspicions and
misunderstanding. For example, there are areas mapped as
boundary=protected_area or landuse=nature_reserve , but local fishermen
who want to continue fishing in the area may not like it, or at least
have doubts about its shape. By deleting a Nature Reserve from the map
the script may inadvertently interfere into a balance situation.

Best regards,
Oleksiy