[OSM-talk] Data Quality

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Tue Jan 3 08:31:51 UTC 2017

On 31.12.16 00:30, john whelan wrote:
> There has been some recent traffic about new users and the occasional
> problems they cause.  The recent traffic was about Pokemon.  In HOT in
> theory new users work is validated.  In practise its only when a tile
> is completed and even then most tiles aren't checked.
>
> Somewhere the number of edits and how long a mapper has been mapping
> are stored.  If we define inexperienced mappers as those who have made
> less than 20 changesets and been registered for less than a month, the
> exact figures optimum numbers need to be determined.
>
> Than is there a method whereby I can say within this boundary show me
> any edits made by "inexperienced" mappers?
>
> It reduces the need to check every changeset for an area.  I assume
> that most vandalisation is done by accounts that would be considered
> inexperienced mappers and we could gently guide the others towards the
> map features page etc.  If a mapper has a thousand changesets to their
> name and been mapping more than three months I think we can assume
> their mapping will contain fewer errors than an inexperienced mapper
> so there is less need to double check them.
>
> On the HOT side it would help catch those new mappers who don't mark a
> tile done.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks
>
> Cheerio John

I could find quite a few inconsistencies with a tool which shows
locations of the Wikipedia articles on the OSM map:
http://ausleuchtung.ch/geo_wiki/

This tool just takes coordinates from a Wikipedia articles and places
geo-markers on the map. Usually significant buildings, bridges, etc.
have got a Wikipedia article often with coordinates. So markers should
point to these objects.

If, however, a marker points on an empty place, or if there is a large
building without a marker on it, it may be a sign of an inconsistency.
Besides, in a Wikipedia article and in the corresponding Wikimedia
category there are usually photos of an object, so it provides
additional possibilities of crosschecking.

Please, note, while selecting Wikipedia language in this tool, that the
language codes of Wikipedia do not always coincide with country codes in
URLs. For example, for the Swedish language Wikipedia code is: sv, and
not: se, for Ukrainian it is: uk, not ua, etc.

Best regards,

Oleksiy