[OSM-talk] Wikipedia/Wikidata admins cleanup

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Wed Jan 4 18:19:13 UTC 2017

On 04.01.2017 18:05, Christoph Hormann wrote:

> Well - in OSM use of and reliance on this expensive resource is the core
> of the whole project and we use automated edits only when they are
> deemed desirable by the expensive humans on a per case basis.

I agree with this idea completely. At the same time it is so easy to
check if a Wikipedia page actually exists programmatically [1] while a
mapper ads a wikipedia=* tag. Certainly, it a bit more complicated in
the JOSM as it may be used offline. But in any case, why to check it
manually? It is a kind of a routine task which could be done by a machine.

Another issue is that a popular mobile app Maps.me does show Wikipedia
link all right, but does not show Wikidata link at all even when it was
added for the object. Wikidata article is more resilient than a
Wikipedia article, which could be renamed, deleted due to a lack of
notability or sources, etc.

I can check in Maps.me if a Wikipedia article tag is OK, but wikidata
entry is not visible to me for some reason while I am already near an
object with a smartphone.

[1]

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11916429/check-if-url-is-exist-or-not

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2280394/how-can-i-check-if-a-url-exists-via-php