[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] Beware Pokemon users

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 02:33:06 UTC 2017

As an ingress player, I can confirm use of ingress data for pokestops and
gyms. Same location descriptions and images submitted by ingress players.
Ingress saw a huge influx of new users when Pokemon Go launched. People
created ingress accounts just so that they could use the ingress Intel map
to find pokestops since (in typical niantic fashion) they did not supply
this useful information to players directly.

The thing that is (MAYBE!) being pulled from OSM is Pokemon spawn locations
along pedestrian features and "biomes" which (I think) are land use area
that spawn specific types of Pokemon. So water ones around rivers, canals
and lakes.

Toby

On Jan 5, 2017 4:20 PM, "Rihards" <richlv at nakts.net> wrote:

On 2017.01.05. 22:34, Bill Ricker wrote:
> I have a possible confirmation that PokeGo is using OSM Points of
> Interest to populate features, but not of edit vandalism.
>
> We went onto local hiking trails to document some local science history,
> taking my daughter along for company and having someone under 50 to keep
> an eye on us oldsters. She brought her iPhone and PokeGo of course. (I'd
> expected her to be my photographic "2nd shooter", oh well.)  She
> reported that our destination included both a PokeGo Gym and a PokeStop.
>
> The PokeStop was at our exact target,  "1899 MIT Observatory site" which
> is moderately well known (on the park map, in FourSquare). [1]
>
> But the Gym was a horizontal control benchmark "BLOOM 1934" which is NOT
> in published catalogs (USGS, MASSDOT, Geocache.com) of benchmarks. It
> appears to be part of the MAGS 1934 survey, does not appear to have
> elevation stamped, consistent with other MAGS 1934 disks. Is it not
> cataloged because not required in final control mesh?  [2]
> (I have added the disk name "BLOOM 1934" to the OSM node today.)

reportedly gyms have been populated from their previous game, ingress.
in ingress they got in by people taking photos of objects and sending
those in.

> Both were added in a 6 year old trail-improvement changeset based on GPS
> hiking track. [3]
> (Which was more uptodate than the published park map and was very
> helpful for old guys taking the gradual slope trail! )
>
> This six year old OSM "man made/man mad/Survey point" is the only online
> reference to this point i've found ... aside from the PokeGo Gym ... for
> this disk.
>
> Alas I did not have her take screen-captures to determine if the
> spelling of feature names is exactly OSM's.
>
> (There's another point in that change set i need to discuss with
> OceanVortex ... will DM on OSM.org ...)
>
> [1]
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/944663159#map=19/42.
44109/-71.08359&layers=D