[OSM-talk] Wikipedia/Wikidata admins cleanup

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Fri Jan 6 16:49:26 UTC 2017

Am 06.01.2017 um 16:37 schrieb Mikel Maron:

..

I would suggest that using this case to make your point is seriously
misplaced.

Reverting a broken import asap to allow for a) the guidelines to be
followed, b) address technical and legal issues, is the sensible,
logical and low impact and only scalable course of action. It is
definitely neither unfriendly nor un-welcoming or any other adjective
you want to use*. The earlier and more consistently it happens the less
effort and work is lost by all participants.

If there is an issue with immediate reverts, it is that, particularly in
the past, there hasn't been enough. The numerous broken imports (CANVEC
and broken import is essentially a synonym) that bitrot in our data and
are long past any reasonable way of removing them are testimony to this.

It is fatal for the project that you are creating the impression that as
long as you argue long enough and feign innocence you will be able to
bypass the rules and get away with whatever you want. To the contrary,
we should be making it clear that not following the few, definitely not
particularly arduous to adhere to, rules will result in immediate
removal of the content.

Simon

* the participants in the referenced discussion are neither newbies, not
aware of the guidelines, or any other mitigating factor, but that is not
the point.