[OSM-talk] Wikipedia/Wikidata admins cleanup

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Sat Jan 7 12:24:43 UTC 2017

Canada is the second largest country in the world by area. I understand
only too well how inaccessible and unexplored a land with a harsh cold
climate could be as I was born and grew up in a remote part of Siberia.

However, the situation changes nowadays. There is now a lot of
innovation in clothing, footwear, and especially in ultra-light sleeping
mats for trekking, sleeping bags, navigation devices, tents, and even
light aluminum tent spikes for snow. This modern technology allows
tourists to access cold areas more or less safely.

For example, the documentary film in English "Surviving in the Siberian
Wilderness for 70 Years" https://youtu.be/tt2AYafET68 was seen on
Youtube more than two and a half million times. It is a film about a
religious family who lived in a forest in a complete isolation for
several decades. And a lot of people hike to this compound now. I read
recently that even a group of school pupils hiked several hundred
kilometers to visit it.

I mapped several lakes around this compound
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3645095042 via satellite imagery. A
lake could be very useful, as it takes much more fuel to melt snow than
ice. Besides, the water from snow does not provide minerals to a human
body. It could be possible sometimes to cut through ice till the water
of a lake.

Unfortunately the long footpath leading to this compound is not visible
on satellite photos. If this footpath was mapped it would be a major
security feature for many hikers, and it could also save some expenses
to the rescue service. But it is possible to map it only via a GPS
track, it means an expedition of preferably 7 or more people would have
to go along it. Seven or more because it is a bear land, and no attacks
being recorded against parties of more than seven people.

I think the remote areas should be mapped carefully, as it is not
possible to ask for directions there. And tourists, sometimes young
students, do venture there more and more. The trekking equipment for it
is readily available via Internet shopping.

With best regards,
Oleksiy