[OSM-talk] RU Wikipedia now uses OSM by Wikidata ID

Yuri Astrakhan yuriastrakhan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 17:19:42 UTC 2017

Oleksiy, Stefano,

WMF is still working on improving the map style, but I'm sure they will
benefit if you create a specific comment that describes what should be
added, at what level, and what types of articles it would benefit. Please
file requests using this form (you can login using your Wikipedia user
account):
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/task/edit/form/1/?tags=map-styles,maps

Please keep in mind that this is a "generic base" map - something useful
for many different types of Wikipedia articles. This map should be good for
overlays - so that article-specific information stands out. These
requirements are very different from the default OSM map, whose main goal
is to help OSM editors check what features are there or missing.

Lastly, Stefano, it would be great for WMF to add nearby articles too - it
exists in the Android Wikipedia app (possibly iPhone too), but not in
mobile or desktop. This functionality has been discussed, but hasn't been
implemented yet.