[OSM-talk] Has anyone cracked the code yet?

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Sun Jul 9 15:20:01 UTC 2017

On 09.07.17 12:28, ajt1047 at gmail.com wrote:
> ...seem to include cyrillic characters, which may suggest that they're
> related to the Russian-language ...

I just wanted to note that the Cyrillic script is used not only in
Russian language. The Cyrillic alphabet was developed during the late
ninth century in Bulgaria on the basis of the Greek alphabet [1].

Similarly, the Latin script is based on the Roman alphabet. The Cyrillic
script is being used in several languages in Eurasia, the same as the
Latin script.

The alphabets which we use in the western part of Eurasia are the legacy
of the two major civilizations of ancient Greece and ancient Rome. So my
point is if one sees Cyrillic characters it is not necessarily Russian
language.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_Cyrillic_alphabet

Best regards,

Oleksiy