[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Awards 2017

Ilya Zverev ilya at zverev.info
Wed Jul 12 22:09:59 UTC 2017

Thanks for bringing up the topic, Michael. The call for nominees has
ended, and after that I have studied each one and filtered out
duplicates, nominees that already have an award, that did not do
anything in the past year or do not seem to do anything with
OpenStreetMap. You can see reasons for nominees you submitted by logging
in and clicking the first tab, "mine":

http://awards.osmz.ru/nominees/mine

In total 33 entries were hidden, including 9 entries for "SPIN Unit",
which is both unknown in OSM community and has operated for at least
three years. I removed myself either, very grateful to the one who
nominated me :)

Today I have written to a lot of mailing lists and individuals asking
them to grade the nominees. The principle is this:

* Core — OWG
* Innovations — EWG
* Writing — CWG
* Mapping — there are five nominees, so everyone passes
* Community — not sure right now, help welcome
* Latin America — SotM LatAm team and people Tyler and Miriam recommended
* Africa — SotM Africa team and people Tyler recommended
* Asia — SotM team, Kathmandu Living Labs and some other people recommended
* Ulf Möller Award — the Board

Of course, if anybody from the teams mentioned participates, then their
teams would be removed from the list of nominees. For this reason I
cannot ask, for example, the HOT to help me with the community award.

Committee members do not write me any reasons for their ranking. That
would be too much in my opinion. I do not intend to share their lists,
nor disclose their names: it would be more open, but at the same time
would put some stress on them. You would have to believe me I watch for
conflicts of interest and do not interfere in the process in any way.

On 17th of July (yes, we're running a few days late) I'll run the STV
process on all lists I will have received, and that would give me five
best nominees in each of the categories. And shortly after that the
community voting will be open. This year you won't have to choose
between equally great nominees: we'll use the Approval Voting method. It
fares pretty well compared to other methods:

https://electology.org/approval-voting

Finally, if you know somebody who is (or if you are) qualified to choose
nominees for the "Community" category and doesn't have any conflict of
interest on that, please mail me.

Looking forward to the 19th of August,
Ilya