[OSM-talk] Is the overpass API for JOSM on the fritz?

Roland Olbricht roland.olbricht at gmx.de
Thu Jul 20 08:22:26 UTC 2017

Hello there,

 >> I had no problems using the "download from overpass API" in JOSM up
 >> until yesterday. Today it gives me all kinds of errors with queries I
 >> know worked. Even when I build a simple query like railway=rail which
 >> gets translated to
 >> [out:xml][timeout:25][bbox:{{bbox}}];
 >> (
 >>    node["railway"="rail"];
 >>    way["railway"="rail"];
 >>    relation["railway"="rail"];
 >> );
 >> (._;>;);
 >> out meta;

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. The server that hosts overpass-api.de
had a sudden loss of power with subsequent file corruption.

I will push status updates on the status page:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API/status

Specifically for JOSM, we had bad luck: the corrupted file is the file
that contains the user names. Hence, specifically requests with "out
meta" fail. Unfortunately, JOSM cross-checks during parsing whether user
names are present. Thus, overpass-api.de from JOSM is for today of
little use.

Please switch temporary to the Rambler instance, base URL
http://overpass.osm.rambler.ru/cgi/

Best regards,

Roland