[OSM-talk] osm-carto v3 - end of life?

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Thu Jul 20 20:29:23 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm looking for the users who are deploying default OSM map style
(openstreetmap-carto) from series v3.

There is v4 series available for few weeks already, but the problem is
you need to reload database for this upgrade, which might be a problem.
We've made a statement in our documentation that we will keep updating
v3 for at least 2 "minor" releases (we use MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH numbering
scheme) to give our users some time for a database transition:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/README.md#database-schema-change-v4x

but it looks like currently we have no code to be ported to v3, so we're
stuck with v4 code, which waits to be merged and released, and we have
nothing for the old series. This is a loose-loose situation for
everybody and it's not clear to me how long it might last.

So I'd like to ask if anybody is concerned about making v3 series
officially unsupported now and moving on only with v4?

--
"Like a halo in reverse" [M. Gore]