[OSM-talk] Decline in accuracy of capture date metadata in Bing imagery

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Tue Jul 25 23:18:37 UTC 2017

On Wednesday 26 July 2017, Clifford Snow wrote:
> A contact in Microsoft said that the Bing imagery is made up of
> multiple images which results in the date range.

That is definitely not the case locally on a tile basis in most
situations but it is of course possible that Microsoft manages image
data and metadata on a larger scale where multiple images are dealt
with in sets and not individually.

> The imagery we are getting has improved over time, although it seems
> at a snails pace. [...]

Just to make this clear: My mail was not in any way a complaint that the
images are too old.  IMO for OSM extending high resolution coverage
would often be more important than updating images - after all high
interest areas are usually also covered in other sources than Bing and
it is not that costly to supplement older high resolution images with
newer low resolution images to be able to see where things have
changed.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/