[OSM-talk] HOT Community Webinar - Wed July 26th 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM UTC

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Jul 26 06:15:31 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 25.07.2017 16:21, althio wrote:
> As I read your message, I failed to see your points.
> I might be missing something obvious, or at least clear for some
> advanced mappers.

I looked at the first image that Christoph referred to and it was
immediately clear to me what he was talking about, even though I didn't
find it so bad.

The practice of "draw some blobby residential landuse around a cluster
of buildings" isn't totally unheard of elsewhere; I did that myself a
lot in the early Landsat days, especially when the individual buildings
couldn't be seen precisely.

What I did find strange, and Christoph is right in that this manual is
not the only one using that style, is that the instruction were *very*
focused - you could almost say, dumbed down. Even the smallest extra
bits of info (hey, there's more than building=yes you know, and more
than landuse=residential too) are missing from the written presentation
- let's hope they were at least in the spoken part. Any regular OSMer
who decided to armchair map an area would certainly at least add in a
few other landuses or land cover, maybe a well or other water source...
it would be a waste for someone to study the imagery and then *only*
trace the buildings. I hope that the document Christoph pointed to is
only a small part of the briefing that the participating volunteers have
received.

Bye
Frederik