[OSM-talk] Street Complete

Tobias Zwick osm at westnordost.de
Fri Jun 2 14:53:27 UTC 2017

> After Ihad entered the choice as an experiment I was expecting a note to =
appear

Really? That behavior would be horrible!

Please read the description of the app on Google Play, F-Droid or=C2=A0GitH=
ub, then it should be clear what the app is doing. It says:

"This app finds incomplete and extendable data in your vicinity and display=
s it on a map as markers. Each of those is solvable by answering a simple q=
uestion to complete the info on site.

The info you enter is then directly added to the OpenStreetMap in your name=
, without the need to use another editor."

> Thatis sensible to me, why would a short ( It also seems to have changed =
a pedestrian to a service because it has no name, again quietly.

It changed it into a service road because on "What is the name of this stre=
et?" you answered "It is not a proper road" and then "It is just a service =
road".

> Lint tools in general suffer from the problem that some people assumethey=
 are errors and fix them without checking. This app has the benefit
> of being a lint tool that you can carry around and check because you're
> there.

I think the main misunderstanding here is the assumption that StreetComplet=
e is a lint tool. It is not a lint tool, it is a surveyor tool.

Tobias
(Author of StreetComplete)