[OSM-talk] Street Complete

Greg Morgan dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 00:07:37 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 3:04 PM, john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> wrote:

> >It is the same issue.  Not every location is covered by wifi either.
>
> I'm missing something here. The application stores the quests and tile
> images on the device when connected to wifi.  Then I wander off and whilst
> unconnected from wifi I complete the quests or some of them.  If I return
> to a civilisation within a week the data is uploaded to OSM silently.  I
> understand the week is configurable but I usually like to return home each
> day.
>
> Why does the location need to be covered by wifi? or a data network?

Let me clarify.  For active survey, it is more my preference that I do not
have to remember to load data like what you describe before I go out.  I
may survey and I may not. For that reason I use something like keyboard
mapper 2. For example, I use the L key to remember building level counts or
stair levels.  It is quick and I do not have to page through a bunch of
screens. That is my view on some of the applications. Keyboard mapper 2 is
my way of surveying.  It may not be suitable for other mappers. I also get
to choose when the survey data is merged with the map after looking at the
surrounding map data.  I now favor passive survey with OpenStreetCam or
Mapillary.  This method has issues too but it is far better than when I
used paper and pencil.

Regards,
Greg