[OSM-talk] The real face of MAPS.ME edits and notes - a short analysis

Tomas Straupis tomasstraupis at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 09:49:54 UTC 2017

> Clearly quality can be an issue, but it's not just an issue on maps.me, it's
> an issue with any tool and any community. Of course, the more people use a
> tool, the more of an issue it becomes.

  The problem is that percentage of very bad edits with @#$%.me is way
too high. I do not remember ANY tool which would have such a high
percentage of bad edits and at the same time so little value. I also
do not remember ANY tool which would cause so much additional
pointless work and work which would usually end in plain revert,
meaning that edits are of not little, but NO value at all.
  (I am only talking about data edits, not the "usage" part of the app).

> (1) Given that you have looked into the issues around maps.me, could you
> formulate a suggestion how some of the issues could be improved, in
> particular what sort of UI improvements in maps.me might stop people
> entering wrong/redundant data?

  This has already been done numerous times. But had little effect
probably because of the reasons I stated earlier. It seems that the
main problem is that users do not clearly understand what they are
doing, there is no "intro" or some other steps done to introduce the
user to what "mapping" means and what they are actually editing.
  (I have actually no problem with notes from this app. Notes are fine
because there is no rush to review them, and after you do, if they are
meaningless - it is very easy to simply press "resolve/close")

--
Tomas