[OSM-talk] "NRCS basic OSM training" - low quality changesets in Nepal

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Thu Jun 22 16:45:22 UTC 2017

On Thursday 22 June 2017, Ben Discoe wrote:

> I haven't seen those changeset comments, but I did get a message from
> a "marek kleciak" claiming that my cleanup operations were
> "destroying work of other mappers."  I carefully explained to him all
> about the edits I performed (they are semi-manual with full visual
> verification (not automatic), nothing moved more than a meter,
> quality was improved, and all the good reasons why such cleanup is
> important).

Discussion is on

by the way.

While i think these edits make some sense i don't really think the gain
warrants the trouble.  This is different from some imports were 70-90
percent of the nodes are redundant because the data was generated with
some automated methods and originally meant for other purposes.

In general this kind of mapping, i.e. mapping landcover on a finely
structured landscape like this on the scale of individual trees - but
not as individual trees but as polygons - is a bit problematic because
ultimately this often leads to non-verifiable data.  Does an
uncultivated strip between fields maybe 10m wide with some trees
constitute a strip of woodland?  Does a small gap between trees of like
20m in an otherwise dense woodland constitute a gap in the forest?
This does not mean this cannot and should not be mapped but with that
in mind it is kind of silly arguing about if the polygon boundaries
might be moved by a meter or so at some places.

> BTW, the likely reason I didn't see changeset comments is that my
> active OSM account ("bdiscoe") is registered to an old, hard-to-reach
> email address (ben at vterrain.org), and (so far) OSM won't let me
> change the email address associated with the account to my current
> address (this one, bdiscoe at gmail.com), because that email is
> associated with my old, unused OSM account ("Ben Discoe").  I'm not
> sure how to fix that, but I'd really like to.

You probably (temporarily) need a third email address to assign to your
old account to free your gmail address to use it for your normal one.

You can also get a feed with discussions of your changesets on

http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/osm-discussion-comments?uid=402624

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/