[OSM-talk] Call from OSGeo members to discussion about OSM and synergies

Benoit Fournier ben.fournier at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 10:21:50 UTC 2017

Hello OSM community,

Please find a call from Suchith Anand (OSGeo/FOSS4G/Geo4All,
University of Nottingham UK).

Dr Anand would like to study and discuss the possibilities of
OpenStreetMap and announce that "the Geospatial IG [1] of the Research
Data Alliance will be meeting in Barcelona on 5th April 2017 to keep
building ideas for the global research agenda for Geospatial Data
Science."

https://www.rd-alliance.org/ig-geospatial-rda-9th-plenary-meeting

Let me quote him again (with minor corrections mostly for formatting):

> [Dr Suchith Anand] would also like to make use of the Geospatial IG meeting opportunity at RDA9 in Barcelona to further discuss ideas on the rise of OpenStreetMap (OSM) as a World Mapping Agency (WMA) build by the efforts of thousands of volunteers.
> It is also interesting to see the community links of the OpenStreetMap and the Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) expanding rapidly both locally and globally.
> OSM is now reaching the level of a Global Mapping Agency build by the efforts of thousands of volunteers and OSGeo is the world's largest geospatial ecosystem.
> What a great combination of synergies. Both initiatives are just over a decade old and have fundamentally changed the whole geolandscape.
>
> [Dr Suchith Anand] and colleagues are working on a paper on OSM and OSGeo and want to use this meeting to discuss more ideas with the community.
>
> Please share with all interested and welcome all interested. It is key that we use this great synergies between OSGeo and OSM for expanding ideas for the future.

[They are working to setup tele meeting facility for the RDA9 meeting
in Barcelona and details will shared ASAP.]

Please do get in touch if you want to get involved.

Ben