[OSM-talk] Responding to vandalism

Michael Reichert nakaner at gmx.net
Thu Mar 16 18:01:41 UTC 2017

Hi Manohar,

Am 2017-03-16 um 14:47 schrieb Manohar Erikipati:
> - DWG currently acts promptly on incidents reported via email, but we
> need a more accessible mechanism that allows new users to report such
> incidents directly from the website or editors. The email details and
> existence of DWG, is only available currently in the wiki [3]

There was a GSoC project about a "report" button two years ago, wasn't it?

> - Auto-blocking known vandals to prevent repeated attacks [4]

No! We are not the German Wikipedia. Users should only be blocked after
two humans verified that a user block is reasonable. Don't do
overblocking. Most of the overblocked users won't try to lift their block.

> - More visibility, awareness of QA tools and history tab on the OSM
> homepage. Most of the really powerful QA tools like osmhv and osmose
> are only known to advanced users.

That's a desing problem of osm.org. The website is too much focussed on
the map. The full opposite is openstreetmap.de (only available in German
and needs some care) which highlights that OSM is a collection of
projects, not a map.

> It would be great to hear more approaches that could protect the map
> against common mistakes and intentional attacks. Much of the world
> lacks an active mapping community, so it is up to a small set of power
> mappers to catch and revert most of the bad edits [6]. Building better
> support systems to respond to bad edits could help more experienced
> mappers focus on community building activities.
>

> [1] https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/PlaneMad/diary/40491
> [2] https://github.com/mapsme/omim/issues/4188
> [3] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Vandalism
> [4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Autoblock
> [5] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/List_of_Vandalism_Changesets
> [6] http://osmcha.mapbox.com/?usernames=woodpeck_repair%2C+zool%2C+SomeoneElse_Revert%2C+mavl%2C+pnorman_mechanical%2C+_sev%2C+OSMF+Data+Working+Group%2C+Peda%2C+FTA_dwg%2C+Deanna+Earley%2C+Firefishy_repair%2C+drolbr%2C+emacsen_dwg%2C+sly&is_suspect=False&is_whitelisted=All&checked=False

Your list contains only DWG members. There is a handful of mappers who
also clean up bad edits and work as an unorganized protection shield of
DWG, i.e. they comment and clean and only contact the DWG if they need a
user block. Some of them use dedicated revert accounts:

DD1GJ,Nakaner-repair,highflyer74,BeKri,tux67

Btw, using a revert account like I do it, is a good idea. It keeps your
statistics clean.

Best regards

Michael