[OSM-talk] Responding to vandalism

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun Mar 19 13:31:31 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 2:27 PM, Nicolás Alvarez <nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > On 3/16/2017 2:04 PM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> >>
> >> And in vandalism, I would also distinguish between teenage doodles
> >> ("penis! ha ha ha!"), and serious concerted efforts to harm OSM.
> >

> >   Then there's the serious and real ha ha ha
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/41.84196/-89.48580
>
> Not so real; the actual church shape is quite different. Bing's
> imagery is way too old, but if you compare with USGS Large Scale
> Imagery (or with the Google photo in the article you linked), you can
> see that someone simply freehand-drew a penis-shaped building there.

To be fair, they could have been using id or Potlatch.  I tend to find it's
lack of ability to zoom in without changing the background zoom level and
the lack of mode locking and alignment selectivity JOSM has makes it very
difficult to come up with something that doesn't look like it wasn't drawn
by an overcaffeinated macaque suffering alcohol DTs.