[OSM-talk] Responding to vandalism

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Sun Mar 19 19:23:42 UTC 2017

On 17.03.17 20:22, Jakob Mühldorfer wrote:

> Google tried to have restrictions on new editors
> The map got vandalised anyways and they shut down public editing
> So basically what others said, not in favour of any kind of restrictions.

I also think it is impossible to stop vandalism by a single technical
solution, rather it would be a running battle for years to come. Still
we are to watch it carefully and to try to understand in each case the
motivation of a vandal, what target was selected and why, what was the
pattern of an occurrence, from what region it was initiated, when it was
committed. And on the basis of this understanding to use tools to
automate the response. Human cunning can be countered only by human
cleverness.