[OSM-talk] multipolygon source tags preferred method

nwastra nwastra at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 05:56:43 UTC 2017

I am unsure what is the preferred way or best practice to tag the source for multipolygons.
I currently put the source on the relation with all the rest of the tags, and only adding tags to individual ways or inner polygons if they are also part of a seperate entity like a fence or a body of water. I also include the source with the uploaded change-set. This would seem to be ok when adding a new mp relation.

Should the source also be added to all the individual ways that make up the outer and inner boundaries of each polygon?
Is this also the preferred way when adding a new large mp relation that does not currently exist?

When replacing individual ways or splitting and altering part of a way with updated data, adding the new source tag to those new ways would seem best practice or is it sufficient to added the source to the change-sets alone?

Is the most sensible way to initially add the source tags to the relation and change-set upload alone and from then on as individual parts are amended, to add the source to just the updated/corrected ways and the change-set on upload?

I have not come across guidance for this on the wki yet.

Tks