[OSM-talk] A tool for picking up settlements tagged as a single building?

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Mon Mar 27 09:56:35 UTC 2017

On Sat, 25 Mar 2017 13:25:35 -0400
john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's something I've noticed in Africa so its probably not putting new
> mappers through a month's training first but many villages have been
> mapped but tagged as a single building with building=yes.
>
> They aren't grouped together but rural Africa doesn't have that many
> large foot print buildings so it should be possible to pick them out
> based on location and size.

And by the way, if you wonder why a bunch of buildings are tagged as
building=yes when that tag is meant for single buildings, I received a
possible answer from Senegalese contributors: some have been taught to
tag built-up areas and found that building=yes looks like a good choice
to do that. The source of that teaching of a need to map built-up areas
seems to be non-Openstreetmap cartography courses.

And while we're at it, the next most frequent building tagging mistake:
outlining the building on orbital imagery at roof level instead of base
level... Explaining that pictures are not always taken from the
vertical usually drives the point home.