[OSM-talk] multipolygon source tags preferred method

nwastra nwastra at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 14:06:57 UTC 2017

Jochen, ridding the osm of these unnecessary source tags seems like a good candidate for our MapRoulette challenge. :)

Putting the sources on the objects has been deprecated for a while. The source should be put on the changeset only. If you are doing edits that involve several different sources, it is best to split the changes up into different changesets. Of course this is not always possible, then you can also put several sources in the changeset source tag. Adding the source to the objects was deprecated, too fined-grained source tagging simply doesn't make much sense. We can not track every source for every node, way, or relation or the parts of them for every tiny change that somebody does. In the end most data will have multiple sources and figuring out what came from what can only be done going through the changeset tags, not by looking at the tags on the data itself. Jochen -- Jochen Topf