[OSM-talk] Disputed border between Greece and Turkey near Imia/Kardak in the Aegean Sea

Florian Schäfer florian at schaeferban.de
Fri Mar 31 08:33:37 UTC 2017

Am 31.03.2017 um 07:09 schrieb Marc Gemis:
> >/If I correctly remember, in such cases, both point of views should be
> used; />/in this case, two boundary segments should be dragged: one including the />/islets with Greece, and the other one including them with Turkey. /
> The rule is that border in OSM is where you have to show your passport
> to the customs. Or where the barbed wire stands, or  whatever on the
> ground fact indicates the presence of a border. The French-Italian
> border which overlaps on the Mont-Blanc is not the preferred way
> AFAIK.
>
> m.

Probably neither of your criteria fits for this case. These two islands
are uninhabited according to Wikipedia (by the way, they are together
only 4 ha in size, the same size as a 200 meter × 200 meter square), so
there won't be customs on there. And I doubt that there is barbed wire
on there either, because in either case the border would run through the
sea around the island on one side or the other.

/Florian