[OSM-talk] HDYC, login requirement and "privacy"

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Fri May 5 09:56:43 UTC 2017

Am 05.05.2017 um 11:38 schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer:

> Usually in statistics, information down to the block level is not
> considered personal informationn. You won't be able from OSM edits to
> say in which house someone lives, or who she is, so it doesn't seem to
> apply.

Anybody that participated in contacting editors during the licence
change knows that the above, is, sorry, rubbish. While it is true that
you can't identify every single contributor the large majority can be
easily.

> At the moment we can't know what kind of data protection rules will
> govern OSMF in the future, given that EU rules will not automatically
> apply any more, soon, if Brexit is not stopped (nonetheless, local
> chapters might be an issue here).

The GDPR applies to anybody that processes data of EU residents (that
has been pointed out to you before) regardless of where they are located.