[OSM-talk] HDYC, login requirement and "privacy"

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri May 5 10:40:27 UTC 2017

Hi,

> I also fail to understand who would
> attack someones privacy by looking at OSM edits and for what scope, and
> why this can't be legally excluded by stating you must not do it if you
> want the data (which on the other hand will make OSM non-free data, at
> least with respect to data referring to mappers).

I think it would be good to separate - at least in our minds - the core
geodata from the "user data" or maybe "metadata" of who did what when
and using which operating system and editor.

The core geodata will always be freely available under the ODbL, and you
would not "make OSM non-free" by omitting e.g. user information from
that. Many current distribution forms (e.g. standard Overpass responses,
vector tiles, Garmin maps) already omit user information.

You could then offer the user information (needed for quality control
etc.) under separate rules (that say "for project internal use only").
This would automatically mean, that someone who runs a HDYC-like site
would have to put a login in front of the site in order to ensure that
he complies with the "internal use only" rule.

Bye
Frederik