[OSM-talk] Revisiting traffic control and traffic calming

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Sun May 7 07:38:58 UTC 2017

> On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 2:25 AM, Jo <winfixit at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What about a type=traffic_sign relation?
>>
>> Where traffic_sign could be stop, give_way, parking
>>

> I was thinking the typical highway=* tags for highway=stop,
> highway=traffic_signals and highway=give_way.
>

>> In case of a stop sign, we could include the sign on a node, role 'sign'.
>> The node of the intersection, maybe role 'to'. The way the vehicle is
>> approaching from, maybe role 'from'.
>>

> Yes, that's what I'm suggesting.
>

>> In case of parking it would make very clear on which ways there is
>> parking and we would have central place to keep track of the conditions
>> like "opening_hours" and tariffs, or specific requirements like permits.
>>

> Parking already has a very clear case of way tagging for this.

To map the effect on the road network, I agree. To relate the traffic signs
to those ways, we don't. I don't know if we'll be able to map all traffic
signs and include all these relations (and keep them up-to-date), but then
I also wasn't sure we´d be able to put entire countries on the map like we
did, only ust a few years ago. It would be good to have a well thought out
plan, so we can start doing it consistently.

Polyglot