[OSM-talk] Revisiting traffic control and traffic calming

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Fri May 12 05:57:29 UTC 2017

So would a stop sign / give way sign /traffic signal then be mapped as

stop_position: node where on the street does one have to stop/give
way/wait for traffic signal
sign : node (optional) the exact location of the sign
from: the way one is following to which the action has to be applied
(is this needed ?)
intersection: the node of the intersection for which the sign/signal holds
to: the collection of ways one can travel to after stopping/giving
way/waiting for traffic signal. This would include the from way so
u-turns have to obey the sign/signal as well.

In general the to collection will be all ways leaving the
intersection, except for cases where right turns do not have to obey
the traffic signal, or where a right turn is give way and left +
straight ahead is stop.

is this how you see the relation ? Could it be simplified for the most
common case that the sign/traffic signal applies to all directions one
can travel ?
what in case there is a turn restriction at the intersection ? Does
the to-collection of the stop sign also have to include prohibited
turns ?

m.