[OSM-talk] Label language on the Default stylesheet

Richard ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 18:18:41 UTC 2017

On Wed, Nov 01, 2017 at 01:58:32PM +0000, Andy Townsend wrote:

> The slightly more serious point that I was trying to make was that one map
> style can't do everything - if you want to see latin (script, not language)
> names there are options available for you to do that right now.  I quite
> like the idea that the "standard" map tries to use the local language and
> doesn't impose one culture's view of what things should be called - and
> using Latin (the language) worldwide is of course not really any different
> to that - if you truly wanted a "language that has been in use for a long
> time and is spoken by a lot of people" you'd pick a version of Chinese.

all nice, but ask the Arbas if they want to have Chinese names rendered in
Chinese and Russian in Cyrillic or rather transliterated to English, ask the
Chinese if they want to see half of Asia in Russian and Arab alphabets or
better in English and then ask the Russsians the equivalent questions.

Also, while it is relatively rare that names transliterated to latin can
cause political issues, many names in Asia will cause trouble if they appear
in the wrong local language in the wrong country.

Richard