[OSM-talk] weeklyOSM #382 2017-11-07-2017-11-13

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sat Nov 18 03:46:32 UTC 2017

Andy,

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17/11/2017 22:52, Clifford Snow wrote:
>

> Frederik,
> I think we are all thankful for the newsletter. And believe they are free
> to publish to their own standards. However, because they use OSM resources
> by publishing on our mailing lists they need respect our values. I don't
> think asking a publication to be respectful to individuals is asking too
> much.
>

> Clifford,
> Being "respectful" is a two-way street.  This is a situation that's been
> going on for almost exactly a year now.  During that time this individual
> has shown contempt for the OSM community, including on occasion telling
> outright untruths.  Conversations with him were very repectful at first
> (conducted in changeset discussions rather than on mailing lists), but it
> gradually became clear that any statements such as "I have already stopped
> changing any objects except" were simply worthless.  At some point you have
> to call a lie a lie, and I can't think of a way of doing that without
> "being disrespectful".

Absolutely. I'm only suggesting that as a community we strive to be
respectful to everyone, all the time. That in no way mean that we condone
bad behavior. I'm all for calling out such behavior even to the point of
expelling/banning the person if reasonable attempts to get the person to
change is futile. My basic belief is that all people have good intentions.
Our community goal should be to bring out the best in everyone.

> Also, I have to object to the use of "they" and "our" in your comment.
> The OSM Weekly is produced by and for people from the OSM community,
> exactly the same community that the mailing lists are run by and for.  The
> use of that sort of divisive language ("they") reminds me of a visit to
> South Africa back in the 90s, and not in a good way.

Sorry for the poor choice of words. Now you see why I don't offer to edit
or write for the OSM Weekly.  My grandfather, a former newspaper editor,
would have been sadden by my lack of writing abilities.

Best,
Clifford

--
@osm_seattle