[OSM-talk] Effecting change in OpenStreetMap

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 23:42:10 UTC 2017

On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 13:47:26 +0000
Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski <me at komzpa.net> wrote:

> Many words, long story short: technology-wise, OpenStreetMap core is
> dead.

This sounds bad and it is hard for me to discuss other examples, but in

> "I'm worried about this. I have not performed a technical review." as
> a blocker for PR merge:
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/2939

- quote is manipulated (it skips part that changes meaning - it is not
  reason for closing PR, this reviewer is simply not making full review
  and signaling that he is worried about impact)
- it is not a blocker - others may still review and accept it
- why you claim "There is no development outside of a limited set of
  companies" and give openstreetmap-carto as an example?
- why you claim "It is impossible to get anything merged into core
  infrastructure" and give openstreetmap-carto later as an example?

> Basically, most of wide ~2011 dev community was hired away, and core
> is in hands of those who weren't hired away by Map* for whatever
> reason, be that lack of social skills or lack of technical skills.
> You've got no fresh blood, and there's no road map for it to improve.

Again, why you claim this and give openstreetmap-carto as an example?
Project that started in 2013
( https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/graphs/contributors
)?