[OSM-talk] What would make MapRoulette better?

ajt1047 at gmail.com ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 15:35:50 UTC 2017

On 19/11/2017 20:59, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> For those who have used MapRoulette or at least have a good
> understanding of what it does: what would be the *one top thing* for
> you that would make it better?

Most importantly,

I'd try and make it a bit more obvious what it is.  When you go to
http://maproulette.org/ you see a map, some numbers, and not much else.
There's a "sign in" button, but nothing explaining what benefits there
are (to me or it) from doing so.  Nothing says what the site is or what
it is for.  The only mention of OSM is in the attibution at the bottom
right, and that says "CC-BY-SA".

In addition:

Pressing return in the search box doesn't do anything.

What is presumably a settings icon at the right just displays some
numbers but doesn't say what they are (e.g. "Total Tasks" - but what is
a "Task"?)

There's a button at the top left that just seems to refresh the screen.

If I zoom in to a marker the "Edit" and "False Positive" buttons are
greyed out, though oddly there are keyboard shortcuts for these. There
are hard-coded options for a couple of OSM editors (though again oddly
not a basic "edit" link).

The "I fixed it" button produces a "Not Authorised" error.

Best Regards,
Andy