[OSM-talk] GPS Altitude vs Pressure Altitude article, Tool for measuring elevation above sea level

Jack Armstrong Dancer@sprynet.com jacknstacy at sprynet.com
Tue Nov 28 03:25:28 UTC 2017

Congratulations on your accomplishment.

Of course, elevation above sea level (MSL) for a fixed point on the ground does not change no matter the pressure altitude (barometer setting). Pressure altitude vs. using a QNH of 1013 for flight levels (high altitude), is something mostly only pilots and air traffic controllers are concerned with and have no bearing on ground mapping. The QNH or altimeter setting simply help the pilot and/or controller better understand an aircraft's height above the ground.

But, I assume you understand this.

-chachafish
(38 years as an air traffic controller)