[OSM-talk] Planned rendering changes of protected areas

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Nov 30 19:29:05 UTC 2017

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 7:46 AM, Daniel Koć <daniel at koć.pl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking about changes in rendering of protected areas on osm-carto
> and I wanted to give community a hint, because it's a popular kind of
> objects. There is a fresh discussion about it from this comment on:
>
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/
> 603#issuecomment-347879897
>
> In short:
>
> 1. Currently leisure=nature_reserve (old scheme) and boundary=* (new
> scheme) are frequently tagged in parallel, and it looks like the old scheme
> is used as a hack just to make it visible on default map.
>
> 2. The old scheme is too generic and it causes visual clutter, because all
> of the protected areas are displayed at once.
>
> 3. New scheme has many classes defined, which would allow us to fine tune
> the rendering (different zoom levels and only some of them).
>
> 4. The new scheme looks like more general than the old one, so it's all
> that's we really need.
>
> Therefore I think rendering of leisure=nature_reserve should be dropped on
> osm-carto, so boundary=* would take over. In this case the areas should be
> tagged with a new scheme to be visible there. That might lead to
> deprecation of leisure=nature_reserve in the future.

 I'm OK with this.  I wouldn't mind some kind of subtle fill where
appropriate.  Class 24 areas probably should render something closer to
administrative boundaries currently do.  Any hatch in that case would need
to be insanely subtle in order to not overwhelm other areas that have
hatches or it'd just make a real mess of things in the western US
(especially in my area where it's a 2-3 hour drive in the shortest
direction to leave such a region).