[OSM-talk] Adding wikidata tags to the remaining objects with only wikipedia tag

Yuri Astrakhan yuriastrakhan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 17:04:28 UTC 2017

On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Tomas Straupis <tomasstraupis at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I guess the point is that:
> 1. Its ok to play with some pet-tag like wikidata

100 % agree

> 2. Its not a WORK to automatically update one osm tag according to another
> osm tag (anybody can do it online/locally/etc). It adds NO value.

It adds HUGE value, as was repeatably shown. Thanks to Wikidata IDs, the
community was able to see and fix tens of thousands of errors in Wikipedia
tags. The Wikipedia link improvement project is based on it:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Link_Improvement_Project
Also, there is no point to add it online/locally because that wouldn't help
community to find these errors.

3. It is totally unacceptable to introduce idea that wikipedia tag could be
> removed at some time, because some other new automatically filled tag has
> been introduced.

First, it is always acceptable to introduce and discuss new ideas. Any
ideas. Always. We, as a community, don't have to accept them, but
discussing innovations is always a good thing.  That said, the removal of
wikipedia tag is NOT being discussed here. We are discussing the way to
improve them, because they are currently broken. Badly.

> So if you like wikidata tag - go ahead and enjoy it, but do not tuch
> wikipedia tag with autoscripts because people are actually using it.
> Especially when you not only avoid discussing with local communities, but
> ignore active requests from local communities to stay away.
>
> Tomas, 1) i don't have autoscripts to touch wikipedia tag, I use JOSM to
generate wikidata tags because of the benefits it provides 2) i am
providing a way for community to fix the broken wikipedia tags, 3) I have
been very actively talking to many communities (in, ru, de, fr, ...). Also,
please elaborate which community has asked me to stay away??? A very broad
statement, considering that every single community had many members
supporting this effort. And 4) could you elaborate on who uses wikipedia
tags, and how they are being used? It would greatly help to understand
various use cases for such data.