[OSM-talk] Adding wikidata tags to the remaining objects with only wikipedia tag

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Mon Oct 2 11:06:56 UTC 2017

On Monday 02 October 2017, Stefan Keller wrote:
> > I would like to auto-add all the corresponding wikidata based on
> > wikipedia, for all remaining objects, using  JOSM's "Fetch Wikidata
> > IDs".
>
> Pls. correct me if I'm missing something here. Though "auto-add" is
> perhaps not the best notion, it's still a human in control of JOSM.
> To me, OSM really should remain a welcoming, inclusive do-ocracy.
> So, let's look forward.

For clarification - since this is often a point of misunderstandings -
if an edit is a mechanical edit or import does not depends on the tools
used, it depends on if the modifications are made individually feature
by feature based on individual, informed assessment of the local
situation or if it is made in bulk without each feature being evaluated
individually - and doing this by clicking a button a hundred times
instead of scripting it of course does not qualify as manual
evaluation.

Manual evaluation would of course be pointless if the data is not
verifiable which is why so much discussion on the matter evolved about
the problem of verifiability.  If the data is not verifiable you should
neither add it manually nor through automated edits.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/